Summer is in full swing and your tot is all about the pool, beach, or just about any other body of water that they can splash around in. And that’s not even counting the hours of backyard sprinkler play! Even though the water is more than welcome on a hot summer day, potential risks abound, from a stray stick in the yard, to a random rock at the bottom of a lake, to a slippery stream. Before your kiddo gets totally water-logged, check out these aqua-friendly shoes that will keep their sweet feet safe during all kinds of outdoorsy activities.
1. Stride Rite Made 2 Play Phibian Sneaker Sandal Water Shoes ($9+): These shoes are safe and secure with their hook-and-loop closure and non-slip grip rubber pods. They’re also anti-stink and have an anti-microbial lining. Bonus: They’re a great choice for animal-loving parents because they’re 100 percent vegan.
2. i play Water Shoes ($9+): Featuring a pull-on closure, these simple slip-ons won’t take you ages to wriggle onto your tot’s tiny feet. Once they’re on, they’ll stay put and keep your kiddo from skidding on damp surfaces.
3. Crocs Kids’ Swiftwater Play Shoe ($24+): Before you assume these are going to be the typical clog-style Crocs, take a closer look. These sneaker-like shoes will fully enclose your child’s feet so they’re easier and safer to walk (or run) in. Instead of summer sandals this year, opt for these water-friendly sneaks.
4. Giotto Kids Swim Water Shoes ($10+): With plenty of adorable designs to choose from, these sweet shoes are as stylish as they are functional. They’re lightweight, have a slip-resistant sole, and dry quickly.
5. CIOR Kids Water Shoes ($8+): The textured rubber sole will keep your little ones from slipping in the water, while the rest of the shoe will dry in no time. And if your child can’t stand anything that ties or straps, these solid-front shoes are the solution.
6. Native Jefferson Slip-On Sneaker ($17+): Your kiddo will look super stylish in this option. The vegan shoes are made to mold to your child’s feet as they wear them, so they’ll fit like a glove — but, you know, for feet.
7. Speedo Kids Surfwalker Pro 2.0 Water Shoes ($12+): The stretchy mesh shoe is extra comfy and easy to get on and off. They’re perfect for a day at the beach or an afternoon in a creek, or for keeping your kid’s feet cool on the hot concrete at the neighborhood pool.
8. Crocs Kids Beach Line Lace Up Boat Shoes ($20+): Boat shoes come in miniature versions that are water-friendly too. Forget about dressing your kid in plain ol’ sneakers or sandals — these Crocs have a dapper, grown-up look.
9. London Fog Mud Puppies ($23+): London Fog may bring to mind rainy days and trench coats, but the classic brand also makes a pretty darn cute kids’ water shoe. These sneakers go from the playground to the paddling pool without missing a beat.
What’s your child’s favorite water activity? Let us know on Twitter @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.