After my son was born, I was lonely. Make that lonely and exhausted. I also needed a lot of things, many more than I predicted, and had no energy to shop. Not to mention, I was completely petrified of leaving the house with an infant.
It was around this time that Jet.com became my very first “mom friend.”
It all began one night when I was trying to order burp cloths online. At 3 a.m., because isn’t that when all new moms do their shopping? I was tired, hormonal, and emotional, and somehow typed the wrong ZIP code. After I stopped hysterically crying (it seemed perfectly reasonable to cry over this), I decided to call customer service.
Lucky for me, Jet.com has 24/7 U.S.-based customer service. I had a great chat with Jordan, the agent who took my call, while he resolved my ZIP code conundrum. He was so kind and helpful that I cried again, happy tears this time.
I can’t imagine surviving motherhood — or life — without online shopping. Here are 8 reasons why it’s every mom’s ultimate best friend:
1. My secrets are safe. Not just any friend will help you shop for adult diapers, peri bottles, and hemorrhoid wipes. That takes a best friend. My online shopping cart never judges and keeps my secrets for eternity.
2. It saves me from mom brain. Having a baby turned my mind into Swiss cheese. Things I should remember slip through those holes, including the sugar-free snacks I needed for my mother-in-law when she came to visit. Jet.com has a wide selection and delivered to my door in two days. My husband never even knew I forgot to pick them up (until now!).
3. It reins in my spending. Jet.com is also respectful of my money, like the friend who always insists upon splitting the check. For starters, two-day shipping is free when you spend at least $35. (Details here.) If you’ve bought diapers and wipes recently you know that will essentially get you at or close to $35.
4. We have fun. What’s a friendship without fun? I enjoy online shopping in general, but Jet.com makes it even better. I like to play the “make my prices drop” game, where I can save even more by shopping for items with a special symbol, opting out of free returns, or buying multiples.
5. I don’t have to shower. I don’t leave the house, wash my hair, or even wear clean clothes. Now that’s true friendship.
6. Someone to talk to. See above. Even at 3 a.m. when I was upset and dealing with a cluster feeding newborn, Jordan was there for me. No questions asked. Well, just the questions that pertained to my order.
7. No mom shame. There is nothing exclusive, everyone is welcome and can participate in the fun. What’s more, sites like Jet.com don’t require you to pay a membership fee, making the perks available to all moms everywhere (and anyone else for that matter). No one is left out.
8. It never lets me down. One day I decided we needed to toss out most of the products in our home and replace them with organic, baby-friendly counterparts. Some of the items I was looking for were obscure and not sold within a 500-mile radius of our home. Luckily, I was able to track everything down on Jet.com and have it delivered to my house before the week was over.
Making mom friends isn’t easy. I was glad I had online shopping to keep me company, help me out of a jam, and ensure everything my baby needed was handy.
If only making human mom friends were as easy!